Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Time for a change



October 1987, I was 5 years old and we just moved into a house in Snellville.  Little did I know, I would live there until my early 20's.  Further more, I never would have imagined that I would be able to bring my family here and have my daughters get to live in the same house that I did.

It was a very sweet moment for me to move back in to this house in October of 2011, 24 years to the month that I first moved in.  Instead of being a 5 year old kid, I  was a 29 year old married father of two.

I've played outside with my girls creating memories that overlaid on top of my own memories.  They sleep where I slept, eat where I ate. Played my drums in the basement, where I played my first set.  I've been able to re-live so many of the milestones in my life that happened when I lived here and create so many new ones.  When we first moved back in, I knew all of the sounds the house made.  As we would lay in bed at night, I knew the creaks from the bumps and all the noises in between.  It was like hearing a familiar song and knowing what note comes next.

As all things in life, things change.  By the end of this week, our house will be up for sale.  Amy and I are starting to look for somewhere and we will start a new chapter in our life.  It is bittersweet that after 27 years, the house will be no longer be in our family, but change can be good.

This will be a good step for my parents.  They still own the house and for the last 3 years have been very gracious to let us live here and to help supplement our rent so that we could be here.  The grand plan was for us to be able to buy the house or take over full payments after a couple of years, but 3 years in, the cards are just not lining up.  With some changes in my dads employment and the fact that I am still in the extremely long process of trying to short-sale my house in Acworth, it just makes sense to sell now.  Ahh, my house in Acworth, the gift of buying cheap just before the housing market crashed, it leaves you with a house that is worth almost nothing and no where to go but out. Thus generating a few more years of patience that Amy and I will have to endure before we are able to make a permanent home for our family.

It is sad in a way, and for now, the idea has set in, but not reality.  I will miss this house.  The sounds, the smells, the memories.  I will have the memories and the pictures.  It will always be my house in my heart and I so thankful the girls will get to remember it as theirs too.



Until next week,

Josh


No comments: